Download and Contact Information
The Ryerson Audio-Visual Database of Emotional Speech and Song (RAVDESS) can be downloaded free of charge at https://zenodo.org/record/1188976. If you experience any issues downloading the RAVDESS, or if you would like further information about the database, please contact us at email@example.com.
Construction and Validation
Construction and validation of the RAVDESS is described in our paper: Livingstone SR, Russo FA (2018) The Ryerson Audio-Visual Database of Emotional Speech and Song (RAVDESS): A dynamic, multimodal set of facial and vocal expressions in North American English. PLoS ONE 13(5): e0196391. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0196391.
Our Open Access paper is made freely available and can be downloaded without restriction from PLoS ONE.
The RAVDESS contains 7356 files. Each file was rated 10 times on emotional validity, intensity, and genuineness. Ratings were provided by 247 individuals who were characteristic of untrained adult research participants from North America. A further set of 72 participants provided test-retest data. High levels of emotional validity, interrater reliability, and test-retest intrarater reliability were reported. Validation data is open-access, and can be downloaded along with our paper from PLOS ONE.
This dataset contains the complete set of 7356 RAVDESS files (total size: 24.8 GB). Each of the 24 actors consists of three modality formats: Audio-only (16bit, 48kHz .wav), Audio-Video (720p H.264, AAC 48kHz, .mp4), and Video-only (no sound). Note, there are no song files for Actor_18.
Audio-only files of all actors (01-24) are available as two separate zip files (~200 MB each):
- Speech file (Audio_Speech_Actors_01-24.zip, 215 MB) contains 1440 files: 60 trials per actor x 24 actors = 1440.
- Song file (Audio_Song_Actors_01-24.zip, 198 MB) contains 1012 files: 44 trials per actor x 23 actors = 1012.
Audio-Visual and Video-only files
Video files are provided as separate zip downloads for each actor (01-24, ~500 MB each), and are split into separate speech and song downloads:
- Speech files (Video_Speech_Actor_01.zip to Video_Speech_Actor_24.zip) collectively contains 2880 files: 60 trials per actor x 2 modalities (AV, VO) x 24 actors = 2880.
- Song files (Video_Song_Actor_01.zip to Video_Song_Actor_24.zip) collectively contains 2024 files: 44 trials per actor x 2 modalities (AV, VO) x 23 actors = 2024.
In total, the RAVDESS collection includes 7356 files (2880+2024+1440+1012 files).
The RAVDESS is released under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License, CC BY-NA-SC 4.0
How to cite the RAVDESS
If you use the RAVDESS in an academic publication, please use the following citation:
Livingstone SR, Russo FA (2018) The Ryerson Audio-Visual Database of Emotional Speech and Song (RAVDESS): A dynamic, multimodal set of facial and vocal expressions in North American English. PLoS ONE 13(5): e0196391. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0196391.
All other attributions
If you use the RAVDESS in a form other than an academic publication, such as in a blog post, school project, or non-commercial product, please use the following attribution: “The Ryerson Audio-Visual Database of Emotional Speech and Song (RAVDESS)” by Livingstone & Russo is licensed under CC BY-NA-SC 4.0.
File naming convention
Each of the 7356 RAVDESS files has a unique filename. The filename consists of a 7-part numerical identifier (e.g., 02-01-06-01-02-01-12.mp4). These identifiers define the stimulus characteristics:
- Modality (01 = full-AV, 02 = video-only, 03 = audio-only).
- Vocal channel (01 = speech, 02 = song).
- Emotion (01 = neutral, 02 = calm, 03 = happy, 04 = sad, 05 = angry, 06 = fearful, 07 = disgust, 08 = surprised).
- Emotional intensity (01 = normal, 02 = strong). NOTE: There is no strong intensity for the ‘neutral’ emotion.
- Statement (01 = “Kids are talking by the door”, 02 = “Dogs are sitting by the door”).
- Repetition (01 = 1st repetition, 02 = 2nd repetition).
- Actor (01 to 24. Odd numbered actors are male, even numbered actors are female).
Filename example: 02-01-06-01-02-01-12.mp4
- Video-only (02)
- Speech (01)
- Fearful (06)
- Normal intensity (01)
- Statement “dogs” (02)
- 1st Repetition (01)
- 12th Actor (12)
- Female, as the actor ID number is even.
An example video showing many actors speaking with the full range emotions – https://youtu.be/Y7OQoNEu3dY
An example video showing many actors singing with the full range of emotions – https://youtu.be/XQkmH4oYZkg
An example video showing one actor speaking with the full range of emotions – https://youtu.be/UAFnlguE7Is